Wednesday, August 25, 2010

You Are Hanging Out With Someone

that you haven't seen in a really long time.

Suddenly, they say, "You know something? You haven't changed a bit."

This happened to me. I wanted to strangle that person.

"What do you mean I haven't changed? It's been over four years! Of course I've changed! I'm not as big of a loser, I've learned new things, I have new skills, I have new friends, I've matured, I'm not a huge nerd, I've gained social manners, I've done SO MUCH!!!!!"

Seriously. That's what was going on in my head.

This of course was a high school friend who I hadn't seen since high school. High School, while nice, wasn't exactly pleasant. Better than some other points in my life, but every time I see a "recreation" of high school on TV or in a movie I want to scream "THAT'S NOT HOW IT'S LIKE." I was socially oblivious, had huge social and emotional baggage, and in general wasn't too great of a person. Mostly I studied, did Band, and randomly picked up new and unexciting hobbies to have people to hang around.

Then college hit. Everyone I'm sure knows that time away from parents and the college environment is like water to your inner maturity plant. Suddenly you have choices and decisions and the ability to stay up as late as you want and eat stuff that's bad for you! You have to deal with social issues and some basic economics without your parents looking over your shoulder. Heck, your teachers sometimes even almost treat you as their peers instead of as imbeciles.

Basically, I thought it was an excellent time of growth and self-discovery and maturation.

Apparently not. Or it was all internal or something. Or I was reverting due to the proximity of someone from a past era.

It doesn't matter. Never EVER say that to anyone. Especially after they go through college.

No comments:

Post a Comment