Monday, March 7, 2011

Still A Virgin

For those that have known me for a while, this shouldn't surprise you.

For those that don't...um...see topic title!

But yeah. I currently have around a 94 Purity Score last I checked (2008), and I still have yet to do drugs, have hot dates, or anything sexual. Although I have tasted a touch of alcohol since then. Hm. Maybe minus like 1 point, so 93. Still stinkin' high.

This really puts me in an odd situation at times. In some circles I might have what people call "moral high ground" which amounts to pretty much nothing most of the time. Au contraire in other cases this means I'm a total wuss who doesn't know jack squat about the world (or a girl's naughty parts as it were, and I hear it's the Final Frontier of Man).

Now, if we were to turn to popular's culture take on things, I guess it kinda boils down to what kind of virgin I am. The majority of pop culture would side more with Steve Carell in 40-Year Old Virgin. While I do enjoy making people laugh, I hopefully am not as completely and woefully unprepared for the world beyond my little toys. Then on the other end is Marcus of Babylon 5. Saving yourself for that special someone has been my defining philosophy. However, I'm not nearly as badass as him, and I don't have an awesomely cool British accent. Phooey. Although [spoilarz] his death does tickle the romantic in me [/spoilarz].

Now, obviously there are reasons for this current state.

Let's start with the negatives. I don't deal well with letting people get close to me. Still something I'm working on. History and stuff. Ask me personally if you'd like to know. Also, I'm obviously a touch of a nerd. Not exactly your stereotypically ideal dating material, unless you have some weird sick mind of being a manipulative gold digger, at which point I'd notice and avoid you like the plague.

On more neutral ground it's a mix of things. Didn't see the point for most of my life (i.e. High School), especially since I didn't know where I'd end up. Location of settling down is quite important, and a major concern. Some of my male colleagues have mentioned this is silly in some respects, and having a long-range relationship can really help iron stuff out and interpose a touch of trial, which all relationships need now and then to mature.

On a rationalizing side I could claim there aren't suitable mates, and this is mostly true. I've noted with some of my friends that some of the principle characteristics I look for are compatibility in values, intellect, interests, and so forth. Unfortunately there is a shortage of girls that fit the ideal. Imagine that, reality not being the ideal. Someone get me a prize in Original Philosophy. The pool gets worse because of my aforementioned nerdy tendencies. Doubled that any that I do encounter usually get taken pretty quickly. And my lack of a 6-pack set of abs.

However, one nice upside is I seem to have a fairly good control of lust. I never have issues of thinking about my female friends in a degrading manner, and am totally OK with talking just to talk. Yes there are those I'm attracted to, but I can put it out of my mind pretty easily. Granted, due my naivety of what I'm missing, this could all go up in smoke the moment someone actually challenges me on this front, so this is more of a "maybe."

As for health, I'm pretty sure my mental and physical characteristics are within reason. No weird "hormone build-up" or something odd like that. And I haven't taken up killing women or something silly like that either, and as I mentioned above I'm actually the opposite of a walking hormone, perhaps because of my situation. Really it's something that doesn't bother me too much while I keep myself busy with other matters, like making friends and graduating from school. And while my doctors always ask me twice if I'm "sexually active" just to make sure I'm not lying, they haven't mentioned anything wrong with me yet medically.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, this is also why I wear a silver purity ring.

So, there you have it. A set of rambling points on a portion of my life.


PS. In case you were wondering, we're defining this virginity as covered by the definition of SPORK. For those who do not know what that means, boohoo.

PPS. As a disclaimer, I am NOT looking for someone to "cure" me.

3 comments:

  1. First, it's P.S.S., and not P.P.S. I am most certainly sure of this.

    Second, you have more than one "upside", T. - in fact, you have many! You're caring, you actually listen to people when they talk, you're spiritually mature, you're good looking, you're smart, and loads more. Have more confidence in yourself, bud.

    P.S. when I read the title to this post, my first thought was "!?!?!?!? What is that post about!?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shush Richard.

    Also, Thanks M.W. Mostly was referring in this post to sexual prowness of which I'm quite wimpy. =]

    ReplyDelete